(Postal Code 95015, Elevation 550m, 58 sq Km, Population 5,500) - Province of
Linguaglossa is situated
just north of Piedemonte Etneo, on the slopes of Mount Etna. A
renown skiing tourist center, Linguaglossa is outstanding for
the rich production of wine grapes, walnuts, almonds, chestnuts,
and mushrooms. The cattle breeding and the sheep and goat farms
are outstanding as well, along with production of excellent
typical Sicilian cheeses. The handicrafts activity boasts the
production of wooden and iron objects, exposed during the annual
Fair of wooden sculptures and murals, held during the months of
July and August.
Grandparents Giovanni Nicotra and Giuseppa Lanzafami lived and
raised their family here in late 1800s.
The name Linguaglossa derives from the
ancient term lingua grossa, referring to a "grossa
lingua di lava" (a big tongue of lava) as a result of the
lava stream formed after Mount Etna's eruption in 1634. The
first inhabited center goes back to 1145 and, in time, belonged
to the noble families Crisafi, Cottone, and Patti. Afterwards,
it became a possession of the Bonanno family until 1634, when
the town was annexed to the Royal property and it acquired its
most relevant monuments are the Chiesa Madre erected in
1613, that preserves a wooden choir dated 1728, and the
Chiesa di S. Egidio, who is the town's patron saint, built
under the Angevin dynasty; it preserves a splendid Gothic portal
representing the town's emblem. The Festa of St Egidio is held
on the 1st September each year.
Architecturally, extremely interesting are
the Chiesa dei SS. Vito e Antonio of the XVII century,
that has a lava stone portal, and the Chiesa di S. Francesco
di Paola of the XVI century, preserving a famous marble
statue of the Madonna dell'Oreto, by Gagini (1478-1536).
One of Linguaglossa's noteworthy citizens was
the famous sculptor Francesco Messina (1900-1996), author of two
incredible sculptures: the "Cavallo morente" (the dying horse),
situated in front of the RAI (State television) building,
and the "Venere" (Venus), placed in the garden of the SIAE
building, both in Rome.
The Town Hall is
located in Piazza Municipio, tel. ++39 095-7777111 fax. ++39